Investing Overview

Getting ready to Rent

The marketing of my property

What do you do to advertise my property?

Once we have a signed Management Agreement authorizing us to act on your behalf, we list your property in the following forms of advertising:

  1. Rental Listing Brochure- Your property is added to our office listing brochure with a photo and details of your property. This is given to anyone that comes in looking for a rental property.
  2. Social Media Network- Our Facebook/ Instagram audience consists of prospective tenants. Your property will be advertised on our social media platforms and promoted to allow maximum shares and exposure. This is trending as a new way to quickly rent your property.
  3. Window Advertising- Your property is added to our office window display.
  4. Internet- Your property along with photos is entered onto the following websites, maximizing coverage to any prospective tenant using the internet to locate a rental property.

Property Presentation

How should the property be presented?

We ask that the property be presented in the best manner possible to attract the right tenant for your property. We don’t want a bad first impression to detract the right tenant from renting your property.

How clean should the property be when a new tenant moves in?

The property should be presented ‘reasonably clean’ in accordance with legislative requirements.

As a very general rule we ask the tenant to leave the property at the standard they found it.

In cases where the Property is provided in an extreme level of cleanliness we ask the tenant to leave the property likewise. However in the case of a dispute legally we can only enforce that the tenant return the property in a ‘reasonably clean’ condition, this being their minimum legal obligation.

Provision of operational manuals for all appliances

At the start of each tenancy, it is a landlord obligation that all appliances in the rental property be supplied with an operations manual. If an appliance isn’t supplied with a manual, and a break down or damage occurs due to incorrect use by the tenant, the Tribunal has made it clear that the tenant will not be held responsible.

Any manuals not supplied by the landlord will need to be sourced by us, your property manager. This may involve a fee for this service, however we will make this clear to you before it may occur. Regretfully not all manuals are easily sourced fro the internet, and may need to involve other sources as well, or a professional appliance manual service approached to source them.

Tenant Selection

How does someone apply for my property?

We always ask that the prospective tenant fill in an application form, singing permission for us to check the information provided. We will never discuss a tenant with you without this application form completed prior to contacting you.

What if an applicant contacts me?

If in the unlikely chance a prospective tenant contacts you to discuss their application, or in fact asks you questions regarding their rejected  application, we insist that you simply request that they contact us (your agent). If they persist we insist that you do not discuss anything further to avoid unnecessary problems and complications.

How do you check an applicant?

With the information provided we confirm their payment and tenancy history by calling their current and/or previous landlord/agent as well as confirming their employment, checking them against a National Tenancy Internet Database to see if they have been lodged as a bad tenant by a previous agent.

In some cases where an applicant may not have a tenancy history we try and confirm other information that may give us insight to show their ability to maintain a tenancy in your rental property, for example, a stable employment history.

In some cases where this is not possible we may simply reject the application.

What reason do you have to give the applicant to reject their application?

Legally we do not have to give a reason and by industry practice we never give a reason.

Who selects the applicant for my property?

You do! We will simply give you the information we have collected and by using our experience give you a possible guide as to the tenancy outcome, but at the end of the day it is always your choice.

Do you guarantee the tenant?

We can never guarantee any approved tenant for your property. We can only attempt to collect information on their past history and confirm their income arrangements. As their paying the rent and maintaining the property is purely voluntary we cannot guarantee any tenancy outcome. This is a landlord risk that comes with allowing someone else to rent your property!

Repairing and maintaining my property

Who is responsible for repairing my property?

Under legislation it is the responsibility of the landlord to repair the property. This means it is at the landlords expense.

Who is responsible for general wear and tear?

General wear and tear that occurs from tenants just living in the property is expected and legislation provides that is be allowed. A few extra marks and scuffs on the walls, Some chips and scratches to doors and doorways will occur over time, along with the gradual of everything that is in the property.

The only time a tenant can be held responsible is if wear and tear is ‘considered’ excessive for the time frame that the tenant has been in possession. For example, a newly painted property with walls severely marked after two years resulting in the walls having to be painted again may not be allowed as ‘reasonable’ wear and tear. In a tribunal this type of situation, if proved, could result with the tenant paying for the painting to be done, minus any depreciation for the age of the paintwork at that point in time when it was repainted again.

What if the tenant is at fault?

If a tenant has caused damage to an item that is not the result of normal breakdown or wear and tear, this will be charged to the tenant. Normally, a trades person would let us know that the repair was normal or was influenced or caused by the tenant.

What about the smoke alarm and light globes?

These are both a landlord responsibility as governed by Consumer Affairs. We check the smoke alarm at inspections to ensure it is working, however we find that most tenants will replace the light globes themselves. We will only worry about replacing them in the case a tenant insists, or they are not physically able to reach them.

What happens if a repair is required after hours, or on weekends?

Tenants are given an emergency maintenance mobile phone number, which is available 24 hours, seven days per week. Our expert property manages will quickly assess the urgency to determine where an after-hours or weekend call out fee is valid or if it can wait until the next business day.

Who is responsible for maintaining the lawns and gardens?

Unless otherwise agreed, the tenant is responsible to maintain the lawns and gardens to the standard they were given at the start of the tenancy. If the property is provided with watering systems these need to be working and kept maintained during the tenancy.

What about cleaning the roof gutters and pruning?

According to legislation it is the landlords responsibility to ensure these are done. Of course, we can arrange gardeners on your behalf to do these for you.

Selling or moving back into my property.

What happens to the tenancy if I wish to sell my property?

You may sell your property at any time. However any fixed term lease in place is guaranteed to your tenant. This means if a person buys your property and they wish to occupy it they must wait until the tenancy is finished unless the tenant agrees otherwise.


What if I want to move in or someone from my family wants to move in?

Again any fixed term lease is guaranteed unless the tenant agrees to move out. As is the case with the property being sold, this usually involves an amount of compensation being paid to the tenant as agreed by both the landlord and the tenant.

What if they are on a non-fixed term agreement?

If they are on a non-fixed term agreement, you may give them notice you may give them a minimum 60 days notice under the following conditions:

  1. The property has been sold (contract signed) and the occupier requires vacant position;
  2. The landlord, landlords father or mother, spouse, son or daughter requires; possession (immediate family of the landlord only)
  3. The property is going to be demolished;
  4. The property requires repair to an extent that the property must be vacant to do so.

Otherwise 90 days notice can be given. If you give 90 days notice, no legal reason has to be given.

A regulated form 3 notice must be used when given 60 or 90 days notice.

Can you sell my property on my behalf?

Essential property management deals solely with property management.

Our focus is to provide you an exclusive property management service unsurpassed in the level of detail and quality. Selling a property whilst tenanted requires a certain skill set, to keep your tenant comfortable and cooperative during the  sales process.

When you are thinking about selling, we can arrange a reputable local sales agent to call you to prepare a market update and discuss strategies in achieving you a great result.

When selling your property please be advised of some legislation we must abide by:

If you intend to sell the property before the start of a new tenancy, we are obligated to inform the tenants of your intentions, and if any sales agency agreement is in place to sell the property, and if you intend to advertise the property for sale during the tenancy.

During the tenancy, if a sales agency agreement has been signed to sell the property, the tenant must be informed within 14 days with written notice. If the property is sold, we must then also inform the tenant in writing at least 14 days prior to the property settlement, the name of the purchaser, and to whom the rent must be paid two from the settlement date.

If we fail to abide by these legislative requires full, the tenant may have that time and eight the tenancy agreement with no penalty applied.